Thursday, November 19, 2009

agIsh: *clears throat*

bg/ag Publishing's protocol has always been to write to an imaginary audience when in fact its audience has mainly been its contributors. I'm going to change it up this one time.

I've mulled. I've rewritten. I've used thesaurus.com. A lot. The fact of the matter is I don't share the same sense of uncertainty as you do.

Your visit this past weekend was the first I'd seen you in well over a year. Not making excuses, but 6 hours is hard to overcome sometimes when life happens. I was a little worried with myself that I wasn't more giddy with the opportunity to finally have that beer with you. But I reasoned that I'd known you for 20 years and I plan to know you for another 20 and another 20 beyond that. So, sure, I missed hanging out with you, but I knew/trusted/hoped that you wouldn't be going anywhere.

"As we get older we become more like ourselves." bg/ag Publishing has always been a reflection of us and continues to be so. As we change, it changes. From the first 10-minute joke to the latest pensive post, you are bg and I am ag and so bg/ag will always exist in one form or another.

The site in its earliest incarnation was run by two guys who were entirely far too easy to entertain. Its witty columns, silly drawings, and grandiose books were made possible by our constant interaction. A key word, gesture, a look was all it took to fill pages of content. Life was in real time and tangentialism was in top form.

The blog is run by a guy who's been through some shit and is visited on occasion by two asians. Its introspective posts is the result of a kind of been-there-done-that disposition coupled with what I like to think is maturity. Each of us experiences in our days things that take some explaining. Email and instant messaging, unfortunately, don't offer much in the way of efficient conversation. "If you have to explain a joke, it was never funny to begin with." Life is now too cumbersome to explain and tangentialism has given way to the point.

...which brings me to the point: bg/ag Publishing should not dictate the direction of your posts. Rather, your posts have always dictated the direction of bg/ag Publishing. bg/ag Publishing has always been the outlet when we needed one and has always served its purpose perfectly.

As of late, you've done most of the feeding, burping, and changing and maybe it is time to send it off on its own. But this is our inner-monologue for everyone to see. I don't know about you, but I've enjoyed every letter of it. I can't wait to see where it goes!

As usual, ag loves you and hates you just the same.

No comments: